CO2 transport and storage: This is how it is done
For some industries the technologies are not yet available to make the full transition to a sustainable production process. We can help by collecting and storing their CO2 safely in empty offshore gas fields. Here's how we do it.
We collect, in barges, the CO2 that is captured from your production process:
- Industrial partners with CO2 capture installations
- Collection at customer site or at pipeline terminal
- Multiple customers can be serviced
- Modular Compression system running on green electricity
- Quayside required for barge access
- Our partner:
We store safely
We store your CO2 safely by injecting it in empty offshore gas fields:
- Offshore operator
- Little offshore power requirements (hydraulics ESD)
- Multiple storage locations available
- We can also transport your CO2 to a customer, who stores the CO2 in products.
- Independent of export pipeline infrastructure
- Offshore interface (TLU) re-deployable
- Short pipeline connection to wellhead platform / manifold
- Our partner:
*We can also transport your CO2 to a customer, who stores the CO2 in products.
Full capacity design
Per customer we provide a minimum of 2 barges of 5500 cubic meters each, operated by pusher-tugs. That amounts to a scalable capacity starting at 0.5 million tons per year per customer all the way up to 6 million tons per year.
Operational from 2023
We are working with several operators to define in excess of 100 million tonnes of CO2 storage capacity in the Southern North Sea. At the end of 2020 we will finish the detailed design. Construction of the first barge can start in 2021 and two years later we will collect, transport and store the first CO2.
Flexible and rapidly available
Our flexible approach is probably the best option if your installation is not near an existing or planned CO2 pipeline. And even if you are near a planned pipeline, our method could be a more rapidly available alternative. You could be one of the first onboard, when we finish our first fleet in 2023.
Storage. Complete detailed design. Final agreement on first storage location.
Fleet operational, for first 0,5-1,5 Mtpa project.
Scale-up to 6 million tonnes per year by 2030
North West European regions
We will start our first transport from a harbour in The Netherlands and then expand to other countries in the North Sea region. After that, we plan to build a network of customers and storage locations that will allow us to transport your CO2 from almost anywhere in Western Europe to the nearest offshore storage location
Leonard Springerlaan 35